Department of Dental Prosthetics
Head of Department
Prof. dr hab. n. med.
22 116 64 70
The scope of medical activity
The implemented treatment procedures cover the scope of services financed under the contract with the National Health Fund.
Specialist prosthetic treatment outside the range of guaranteed services is performed under full-paid procedures.
- prosthetic rehabilitation with the use of fixed and removable restorations (crown-root inlays, crowns, bridges, full and partial settling dentures, skeletal dentures, splints, dentures with precise elements – brackets, latches, telescopes)
- rehabilitation and reconstruction of occlusion after cancer surgeries
- diagnosis and treatment of patients with functional disorders within the motor system of the masticatory organ
- treatment of obstructive sleep apnea
- implant-prosthetic treatment
- diagnostics and prosthetic treatment of children and adolescents in the field of rehabilitation of congenital and acquired defects
- prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the effects of injuries in patients practicing various sports
aesthetic dentistry (ceramic and zirconium restorations)
The scope of didactic activities
The Department of Dental Prosthetics educates students of the Faculty of Dental Medicine of the Medical University of Warsaw in the field of dental medicine in the third, fourth and fifth year, ensuring the implementation of the core curriculum in the field of theoretical knowledge and practical clinical procedure. Classes are also conducted in English for students of the English Dentistry Division (EDD).
The Department actively participates in educating students in the field of Dental Hygiene and Dental Techniques, enabling the acquisition of the required level of knowledge and skills through lectures, seminars and tutorials.
There are also series of lectures devoted to the issues of physiology and pathological changes in the oral cavity and their impact on general health, prepared for students of the Faculty of Medicine.
The scope of scientific activity
Assessment of the results of surgical and prosthetic rehabilitation treatment with the use of intraosseous implants.
- Assessment of prosthetic and functional rehabilitation of patients after craniofacial oncological procedures.
- Fungal infections of the oral mucosa in users of prosthetic restorations, including patients with diabetes, after chronic immunosuppressive therapy and organ transplantation.
- Clinical and radiological studies of osteoporosis within the prosthetic base – prosthetic rehabilitation of patients with osteoporosis.
- Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint dysfunctions, myofascial pain and headaches.
- Assessment of radiological imaging methods in implantological diagnostics.
- Physiology and pathology of bruxism.
- Treatment in cases of obstructive sleep apnea.
- All ceramic systems – CAD / CAM.
- Assessment of the influence of the chewing capacity on the condition of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
- Assessment of the susceptibility of flexible polymeric materials used in the production of intraoral protectors to microbiological contamination and hygiene recommendations.
The Department of Dental Prosthetics conducts specialization training and courses for doctors implementing a specialization program in the field of dental prosthetics.
W ramach umożliwienia ustawicznego kształcenia lekarzy Zakład bierze udział w realizacji sesji tematycznych skierowanych do lekarzy po dyplomie, chcących poszerzać swoją wiedzę w ramach cyklicznych spotkań Warszawskiego Oddziału PTS.
The Department of Dental Prosthetics is involved in the organization and conduct of health promotion campaigns, in particular oral health promotion carried out under the patronage of the Medical University of Warsaw, addressed to the local community.
Didactic and scientific achievements
Every year, graduates of WLS MUW achieve top positions in national dental medicine examinations and in the national specialization examination in the field of dental prosthetics.
Members of Student Science Club are co-authors of many publications from the works carried out at the SKN and occupy leading positions at national and international scientific conferences, and are published in peer-reviewed, scored scientific journals, many times with the Impact Factor (IF).
Scientific achievements include:
- Long-term evaluation of the results of treatment of an edentulous mandible with the use of overdenture supported by endosseous implants.
- Development and implementation of methods of prosthetic rehabilitation of patients after cancer surgeries within the facial part of the skull.
- Developing the principles of diagnostics and treatment of temporomandibular diseases..
- Application of the CAD / CAM system in the production of ceramic crowns.
- Application of the Nobel Guide technology in implant-prosthetic treatment.
- Publication of the 6th edition of the textbook “Dental Prosthetics”.
- Publication of the monograph “Treatment of edentulous mandible with overdentures supported on Bränemark’s endosseous implants” and “Oral mycosis in users of prosthetic restorations”.
- Publication of the textbook “Diagnostics of the motor system of the masticatory apparatus”.
- Publication of the monograph “Masticatory apparatus – diagnostics and treatment”.
- Publication of the textbook “Dental prosthetics for dental technicians”.
Publication of the script for EDD students “Fundamentals of prosthodontics”.
Numerous publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Participation in numerous national and foreign conferences and trainings.
Comprehensive treatment and follow-up care for patients after surgeries in the facial part of the skull, following neoplastic changes.
- Multidirectional diagnosis and interdisciplinary management in the treatment of patients in developmental age with congenital and acquired defects and syndromes.
Conducting implant-prosthetic treatment in teams of specialists in the field of surgery, orthodontics and dental prosthetics.
- Diagnostics, treatment and prevention of muscular and joint dysfunctions in the motor system of the masticatory organ.
Prevention and treatment of traumatic injuries in athletes.Prevention and treatment of people with bruxism and obstructive sleep apnea.
Events, awards, social functions
The Department of Dental Prosthetics is a co-organizer of the annual West-East Scientific Conference held under the patronage of the Rector of the Medical University of Warsaw.
The Department of Dental Prosthetics is a co-organizer of the Conference of the Prosthetics Section of the Polish Dental Society (PTS).
Every year, the employees of the Department of Dental Prosthetics are lecturers at the Mazovian Dental Meetings, a conference organized by OIL in Warsaw, aimed in particular at practitioners.
Lecturers are also invited to a number of other conferences and events, including the OSIS implantology society, the Polish Society of Dysfunction of the Masticatory System, the Polish Society for the Study of Pain, the Polish Society of Physiotherapy, the International Vienna School of Interdisciplinary Dentistry, the European Academy of Orofacial Pain & Dysfunction, and the European Prosthetic Association. (EPA).
Pracownicy Zakładu mają możliwość odbywania staży w ośrodkach zagranicznych (Pensylwania, USA; Cluj Napoca, Rumunia; Londyn, UK; Wiedeń, Austria).
The team at the Department of Dental Prosthetics includes the Editor-in-Chief of the nationwide magazine Dental Prosthetics and thematic editors of many Polish and foreign scientific journals.
The head of the Department is a provincial consultant in the field of dental prosthetics.
The Department of Dental Prosthetics employs 4 independent scientists, including two professors and many specialists.
– specialists in the field of dental prosthetics:
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Jolanta Kostrzewa-Janicka, Head of Department
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Elżbieta Mierzwińska-Nastalska
- Dr hab. n. med. Dominika Gawlak, Head of the Prosthetics Laboratory
- Dr hab. n. med. Dariusz Rolski
- Dr n. med. Jerzy Gładkowski
- Dr n. med. Tomasz Godlewski
- Dr n. med. Zbigniew Kucharski
- Dr n. med. Przemysław Szczyrek
- Dr n. med. Magdalena Golecka-Bąkowska
- Dr n. med. Bożena Jedynak
- Dr n. med. Anna Kochanek-Leśniewska
- Dr n. med. Łukasz Łomżyński
- Dr n. med. Bohdan Bączkowski
- Dr n. med. Dorota Przybyłowska-Sztandera
- Dr n. med. Piotr Jurkowski
- Dr n. med. Elżbieta Wojtyńska
- Dr n. med. Mariusz Cierech
- Dr n. med. Bartosz Bujak
- Lek. dent. Marek Prątnicki
- Lek. dent. Monika Wojda
- Lek. dent. Konrad Juszczyszyn
- Dr n. med. Marta Jaworska-Zaremba
- Dr n. med. Kamila Wróbel-Bednarz
- Dr n. med. Krzysztof Majchrzak
- Dr n. med. Anna Cybulska
- Lek. dent. Marcin Szerszeń
- Lek. dent. Michał Trzaskowski
- Lek. dent. Daniel Surowiecki
- Dr n. med. Katarzyna Mańka-Malara
- Lek. dent. Joanna Gadomska
- Lek. dent. Katarzyna Laskowska
- Lek. dent. Milena Pawlik
Cooperation with other units
- Head and Neck Cancer Clinic, Oncology Center, Institute of M. Skłodowskiej-Curie in Warsaw
- Warsaw University of Technology – Institute of Materials Technologies
- Silesian University of Technology
- Military Technical Academy
- Polish Academy of Sciences
- Gynecology and Obstetrics Clinic, Medical University of Warsaw
- Institute of Transplantology, Medical University of Warsaw
- Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine Clinic, Medical University of Warsaw
- Department of Pathomorphology of the Medical University of Warsaw
- Center of Arthroscopy of the temporomandibular joints of the Medical University of Warsaw
- Department of Prosthodontics Medical University and Medical Clinic of Dentistry of Vienna, Austria
- Pain Treatment Clinic, Independent Public Clinical Hospital Prof. W. Orłowskiego, Warsaw
- Sleep Research Clinic, Department of Internal Medicine, Pneumology and Allergology, Medical University of Warsaw